Feathercraft Java Review

FEATHERCRAFT JAVA REVIEW
good...
First thing, very easy to assemble, did the whole kayak in 10 minutes. The pumping actually took more time. I am surprised (as I am not a sit-on-top person) how well the Java performed in sea conditions. I put it through two mangroove rivers and it glided well too. Very stable, quite fast and almost felt like a K-lite. Didn't bothered the kayak during windy or choppy conditions. In fact it remained stable throughout. I did a few capsize drills and it was easy to right the kayak and climb back on. So no need to bring pump or worrying about sinking kayak. The seat was also extremely comfortable. The Java was an excellent kayak for snorkelling (see my sulawesi post below), easy to jump down, easy to kick yourself back up, and easy to hang on to it while you floated. Java felt like a sea-worthy kayak capable of open sea paddling - just don't expect it to be as fast as the sit-ins.

OK lah...
One thing I always hate about open-top kayaks is the lack of sun protection on the legs, and the blistering red on my legs showed after 2 hours. The Java tracked well only with a skeg, without it became somewhat like having a mind of its own. The skeg should be launched before going out, as you can't be sure it was launched correctly when you were at the sea. Also the first time you drop the skeg, you should feel it with your hands to make sure it is correctly installed. Often it tended to angle on one side, and you would have to straighten it. The meshing for securing the gear is useful only for 10-15 liters dry bags. A 56 liters for example won't fit under the meshing. The front meshing especially interfered with my feet and footrest as I stretched out (I am 6ft).

I wish...
The Java does NOT dry easy! I sun it for the whole day and it was still full of water. I suspected water seepage into the frabic and stayed there (since it is double-layered). There is nothing more annoying than a dripping bag after a hard day of paddling. [I later took FH2O's recommendation and hanged it out to dry and true enough the water trailed off at both ends. So this probem is solved; guessed people who own inflatables would know this trick !]. The second thing was the Java was NOT easy to portage solo long distance (>1km). Although Feathercraft had built in a shoulder strap for easy portage, portaging the Java single-handedly for long distance can kill your back. I am imagining the Java to be a fuss-free kayak so this came as a surprise. Even normal heavier kayaks are easier to carry as you can carry them on your shoulders. I Will try to figure out a way to carry the Java for long distance (on the head maybe ?). But short distances are no problem, as the Java weighs 15kg!

Conclusion...a friendly kayak !
All in all, Java was a very fun & friendly kayak to have. My whole family was climbing onboard and enjoying it like a toy. After which I paddled it to the islands without worrying about getting swamped. It was more at home on the rivers and around islands rather than the open seas. I think it will be an awesome kayak for the rivers (with the rainforest cover who cares abt the sun on the legs?). I can put my legs in the cool water anytime and also lie down while the river floats me downstream. A lot of people were admiring the Java from a distance when I took it out again that day, not too difficult to see why, as its possibilities can be imagined by many - not just the kayakers.

Next...
I think the Java would ideal for kite-kayaking or kayak sailing. Very stable, easy to secure the kite, and roomy enough to launch the kite or sail. Definitely look forward to it next on the water !

Comments

Francis Ho said…
Okie, bring it along on your next trip here for us to try ... :)

Oh I think you forgot to mention that it has space for the occassional second paddler and that they come in several other colours ... being 'kay-poh' here!
fullmoon said…
Fh20 - yes! thats a good point! One can add an additional seat for the second paddler. Great for a Missus who may be trepid in kayaking alone ;)
HappySurfer said…
Fullmoon, that's enlightening though I'm not able to imagine how a skeg looks like nor where it goes. haha.... excuse this layperson.

Woah...15kg is quite a challenge for portage. Just out of curiosity, after it's been knocked down (not sure if this is the right phrase), how long does it come up to?

That red is nice.

(Have been unsuccessful on several attempts two days back trying to post this comment. Hope it'll work this time.)
fullmoon said…
happy - the skeg is like a rudder just that you can use it to change the direction of the kayak. In fact it is use to keep the kayak in a straight line.

After you collapse or fold it, it fit into a shoulder bag! Specifically 90cm x 50cm x 23cm =)

Red is nice... but fullmoon will always be yellow =))
HappySurfer said…
Fullmoon, thank you.

Fullmoon will always be yellow? Yellow is a safe colour. I read somewhere that the safest colour on the road is yellow. Not sure if it also applies on the waters?
fullmoon said…
happy - And I read somewhere that the most visible color in the day is red and at night is actually blue.

But whatever color the most visible sign anytime is frantic movement ! =)

Me and Chan got separate a few times and guess what, the first thing one notice is always the reflection of the paddle against the sunglight. The kayak being too low would be hidden from sight by the waves.

But ya, I think Yellow is an excellent color for sky searches and big boats to spot.
HappySurfer said…
Colours - a pleasure of the sighted.

Frantic movement is not a bad thing. Without it, life stops.

You and Chan - a good thing going.
Robin CHAN said…
It is RED!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!

I have a lot of ed stuff..Wink wink

But no space to put another such things inside..
Robin CHAN said…
Aiyo, still haven't update blog!
fullmoon said…
On my earlier comment, there is a typo. I had written

"the skeg is like a rudder just that you can use it to change the direction...:

I meant "...you CANT use it to change..."

maybe a small typo but meant hell lot of difference !
lotuslander said…
Fullmoon, I'm looking to get a Java. Yesterday I test paddled one at the FC facility here in Vancouver. I was really impressed by it. I currently own an Innova Safari.
To dry the kayak you say to hang it... do you turn the bow and stern inside out? This is what FC is suggesting to do.
fullmoon said…
lotuslander > Somehow the water get stuck inside beyond the first layer of material. So hanging it draws the water to the ends. Turning inside out would be best otherwise the water will pool inside the 'pouch' of the stern and bow, and you will have to periodically clear the water.

Hanging with the stern facing the floor is best, as there is the slit for the skeg where some of the water can run off as well.

Thanks for visiting and happy paddling. So nice to stay so close to FC ! =)
lotuslander said…
I just received my new Java from FC. The same night I assembled it in my apt living room. It took a while since FC already set it up as a double. I found the instructions lacking a bit in details but I managed to figure things out.
It's still winter here in Vancouver, so it might be a couple of months before the inaugural launch. In the mean time I'm excogitating a rack to dry the Java in my apartment.
I'll update my mini-blog with the first paddle.
Yes, it is nice to have FC a few blocks away.

Popular Posts