Katuka Project - OC 1 trainer

I was cooped up the last few weeks, mainly fretting over measurements of a new OC-1 design. I called it the Katuka project, after Halim told me of this special tree on Mentawai that was used to make sea-going canoes.

As I write, they are now making the mold for Katuka. But I am still calling them every other day to make sure they got this right, tweak a few things there, asking them to reassure me they are getting it right the first time. Once it is cast, that's it.

The design process has taken more than 6 months. I reckon the production is going to take another 2-3 months. So it will be in November before the first water test. 

I can't wait for that day to arrive, but I am well aware things can still go wrong now to then. Fretting continues...

I am meeting up some young artists over the next few days to discuss illustrations for this boat. Some think I am silly to spend extra money to 'beautify' the boat. 

But I am a big big fan of collaboration and hope the smooth deck can give them the platform to express their art. As I research on local arts, I am simply blown over by the amount of artistic talents in Singapore. There are some insanely creative illustrators out there, and should be given more push. Visit Culturepush to see what I mean.

My next problem is - who will buy this boat? Sea willing, Katuka will be on the water soon...

Comments

Anonymous said…
"who will buy this boat?"

I will and I'm sure there are people like me around ... ;)

Best wishes on this Katuka Project!
fullmoon said…
thks francis! =)

Popular Posts