Strip Down Paddle

Ao Thalane has the most beautiful sunset in Krabi.

I did a strip-down paddle recently.

It was on the last day of the Krabi season. I had spent many weeks for the past 3 months in Krabi, taking kids exploring the limestone islands and canyons. It was a most fulfilling assignment, with good thai food, interesting lessons taught by the kids, and lots of paddling.

It was a day after everyone has left and the celebratory dinner and bar-hops were done. It was sleep driven by exhaustion. I woke the next morning so completely elated to know I was waking up next to the sea.

Sunrise over Ko Hong.

The tide was high, and the sea was full. The multitutes of limestones hills stood clarified as far as the eyes could see. In the distance, a few early rising fishermen on their long-tail boats were already throwing their nets .

It was no more normal than any other day on the bay. I just had to get out of the bed and onto the water.

It was overcast with a a gentle northernly breeze. A cool day.

I stripped down to just my shorts, strapping my PFD and everything else on my deck. No sunglasses, no hat; nothing but the wind and salt on my face and nakedness. Just me and my kayak. Into the wind.

Instantly, I felt a layer of damp stickness on my torso. I felt cold in the breeze. But my nakeness also felt the warmth of the sea, a thermal stream of previous day rising from its surface over me.

The wind blew through my hair in a mess. I felt it blew under my arms, and lifting me from the water. I tilted my head to breath in the wind.

Feathercrafts at Ao Thalane.

I sang. I laugh. I was so happy with being on the water, enjoying everything that I love before my eyes.

Then I began to cry. I thought about all the persons who I missed and miss...

I just felt a complete wreck, letting the sea washing and cleansing buried or unorganized emotions. Letting go. Stillness. I could only hear the slight howl of the wind and the splashes of my paddle. It was as if I had empitied everything out.

At that moment, I felt free again.

Comments

FH2o said…
Sappy but moving. Now please reply my email. :P

Popular Posts