Endau River this year


Sun rises over kayakasia on Lomaco beach along the Endau River.
 
The night that I slept on Lomaco Beach, I was sweating inside my tent, waiting for the jungle to cool down. It was unseasonably rainy in the middle of May. It makes for good kayaking weather, but camping in the rain wasn't what I was looking forward to. The rain has no effect on the temperature at night. Steam seemed to rise from the ground, having been consumed by the droplets falling down. It will take a while for everything to cool down I thought.


No clear skies tonight. The students were getting ready to sleep. It amazed me that teenagers can be so knowing. I only remembered lots of awkwardness when I was at that age. Never the confident, eloquent, out-going kids that I see today. They have opinions, some facts, and happiness. A great bunch of kids as usual, that the system churned out.

I can feel that the sand was rapidly cooling down. It feel wonderful to be with the river again. This would be my second time on the Endau River this year. First with a great group of nature lovers, and then never expecting guiding a bunch of kids there. Good thing?

A hornbill gliding above the canopies of Endau rainforest. Photo by Moira.

One thing I will always do there is to take a solo paddling trip down the beautiful Jasin River. Not really paddling, but more of a float down with the river. Siting back on my small packraft, I looked up at the blue skies and green canopies flashing by. The sound of water over pebbles, insects, howls of gibbons, and occasional wind surrounded my journey. Each time I am on the Jasin, it also rained. It almost always rain in the evings It was loud. I opened my arms to let the rain come, and open my mouth to taste a bit of heaven. As I got spin around and push down by the flowing water, it seemed to me the most natural thing to do.

An early morning gather in mist cover by sepia tone, K. Jasin. Photo by Victor.

Eventually the night did cooled. Rain fell again later.

Comments

Popular Posts