Building a dream kayak


This is an interview I did recently with Kenny, an apartment-dwelling Singaporean who took 2 years to realize his dream of building his own folding kayak. Finally completed last month, it is a fascinating story about determination, ingenuity, and passion. 

"Frankly I enjoyed building the kayak so much that I literally slowed down my pace. It involved kayak science and chemistry...the frame posed a challenge as my kayak needs to be foldable. I managed to accomplish with equal length of about 90cm per section, with all its connection points & interlocks not interfering with the joints... "

Kenny standing proudly with his Kooperkraft, a self-made folding kayak. At Sembawang Park. Photo by Kenny.


Kooperkraft Specifications
Frame length / beam : 510cm / 60cm       (16' 9" / 24")
Height :30.5cm                                       (12")
Cockpit : 81 x 40cm                                (32" x 16")
Safety Sponson : 2 (pressurize)
Top speed : 6.44 to 7.24 km/h                 (4.0 to 4.5 mph)
Weight : 21.31 kg                                   (47 lbs)
Maximum payload : 120 kg                      (265 lbs)


Tell us something about your kayaking passion. For example, how did you get started in kayaking?
I'm a 'sea-person' I guess...fishing is always my main passion, to the extent that I nearly wanted to own a powerboat :-P But the cost of maintaining a pleasure craft put many off. "There're 2 happy moments in my boating life, the day I bought her, and the day I sold her!!!!" that explains it.... hur hur 

Years later saw a F.T* who did his fishing in an inflatable kayak, I didn't need any more encouragement jumping into the trend :-) That was 3 years ago....with no prior kayak training, I bought myself an inflatable AdvancedFrame Expedition and started kayak fishing. [Ed: *F.T. means Foreign Talent, most likely an ang moh expatriate. Ang Moh is sometimes a derogatory term for Caucasian foreigner.] 


What are you looking for in a kayak?
I slowly evolved in my search, in the sense... towards 'commando kayaking'. KFC as I would call it...(KayakingFishingCamping). I need a kayak which can carry heavy loads, is stable and portable. My inflatable fits all these requirements but there was a big hitch, it is slow and paddled like a pig.

"Skinning" the kayak. All parts of the kayaks are self-made except the valves for the sponsons. Photo by Kenny.

Hey, there are so many folding kayak brands around. Why make one?!
Because I can't afford a Feathercraft!!!! LOL  Well to be frank, not all branded folding kayaks are to my liking, there are always something lacking. Why not pick up the features that I like in these branded folding kayaks and combined them into my dream kayak? "Come'on....just make a frame & slap on a cover, how difficult can that be!?"  I was wrong.....


How long did it take?
From start to finish - almost 2 years! I started with ZERO knowledge in building kayaks. Google became my best friend, so I took a few months digging info from various kayak building sites, searching for the right materials, R&D, etc. Many times my building schedule were delayed due to design changes and lack of proper material. Most time were spent waiting for replies on materials availability. Many suppliers in Singapore would claimed they have the stuff I wanted but failed to deliver eventually. Anyway time is on my side, and lotsa determination, determination, and determination !!!

Turning HDPE panels into usable cross ribs. Photo by Kenny 

What is the most difficult process in making the Kooperkraft?
Getting the right adhesive. Try getting it from local hardware store is like looking for a mouse hole in a HDB flat! Try getting from local RIB builders they won't supply. Try getting it from overseas, and they would like to sell you but could not send because it contain solvents such as acetone, methanol, or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), all considered to be a hazardous material. In the end I managed to reverse-engineered the required glue to it's component level and made it myself. The result was fascinating :-)

Second was the kayak skin, try searching for hypalon locally and all their replies were "Rubber mat or EDM ok???" In the end I manged to obtain 0.9mm PVC material from 2 sources locally, one who deals with inflatable sampan*, the other who deals with canvas. [Ed: *Sampan means boat in Malay]

What about the frame?
It might be too technical to describe what I did to improve my frame. Basically I used double tubes on some weaker section; some section I use thicker inner walls, while I placed anchor pins to cease frame swivel. You can notice that I improved Feathercraft's interlocking system by raising the holding pin. This increase the distance of the pin holes further away from the tubes, and making the HDPE ribs stronger in locking them.

One part I would definitely like to keep off the public is my locking system - I am afraid it might kill off Folbot's exclusive niche in this area :-P

HDB railings can be useful! Bending aluminum tubes into curvy cockpit rim. Photo by Kenny

Most of us live in apartments, where did you find the space to work on the kayak?
It's a foldable I'm building, they are all in sections not more than 3 feet, so I don't really need lotsa space actually :) The fun part was that I can do some parts at my office, some parts in my home. I travel by MRT, so was kinda strange to see a person (me) carrying aluminum pipes to and fro from home and work almost daily. heh heh


What did your family and neighbors thought?
They were all bewildered and amazed!!! LOL  During my final stage in the skinning process, I done it at the lift
lobby, I had neighbors traveling in the lifts (with glass windows that you can see through at every level) to the upper floor, didn't get out at their level, punched my floor number, and came back down to see what contraption I was building instead!!!! I guessed by now the whole damn block knows there is a mad man building a boat, "That seow-eh* building boat!!! How the hell is he going to put that thing into the lift!?!?" LOL  [Ed: *seow-eh means crazy nutcase in singlish, index finger springs up as you say this with a slur]

Making good use of public spaces (in this case a lift landing) as a playground of invention. Photo by Kenny

Let's ask something more technical, why a 60cm beam?
First was from my inflatable kayak experience, her beam is 32" (81.28cm) and I paddle like a fat mama. I tied a butt hugging 17" (43.18cm) cheongster* but she likes to go tipsy on me. The narrower the beam, the longer the boat is needed for buoyancy. Most touring kayaks fall within the 2 feet range - this beam is stable, able to carry loads, and speed is not compromised greatly. [Ed: *Cheongster is a person who lives in the fast lane, and looks for something happening and cool....happening means...got action]

The whole kayak collapsed into a backpack (yes, even the backpack is hand-made by Kenny with a sewing machine!). Photo by Kenny 

Has it been water tested? How did it feel?
check'em out....

She is fast, fun, easy to paddle :-)

The Kooperkraft! Photo and made by Kenny

Finally, share with us your paddling dreams...
Crossing to batam, anyone???

Comments

Phil Moon said…
Very nice kayak, congratulation! Phil
Cheongster said…
Hey dude, I have to salute you for this design and construction journey that you took on. Please call me at 98212285 if you are available for coffee.
Cheongster said…
Hey dude, I want to salute you for the design and construction journey that you took on. Pls call me at 98212285 if you are free for coffee and chit chat

Popular Posts