Fullmoon

This is Fullmoon. It is a folding kayak that has been with me for many of my expeditions around Southeast Asia since 1999.

It took me 2 years to pay off the money I borrowed to buy the kayak. When I first know about folding kayaks - and I think Paul Theroux's book had a lot to do about it - I knew I had to get one and go somewhere. It was like a young man's dream, see the world, adventure, feeling invincible kinda of thing.

No one approves of that idea at that time. Too dangerous, said one. What about sharks?, said another. Were they right?

Since then I have been lucky to see many places with Fullmoon, and many of them I would not have even think of going if I don't have a personal craft to bring me. It is life by the seas and waterways that i want to see. There are no footsteps to follow, just endless coastlines and winding rivers.

The sun could be too fierce on morale, waves too high to see, wind too strong to paddle; but these are the times where Fullmoon remains loyal like the best husky, where despite the breaking waves a trust is formed.

But when I am kayaking there is no one to talk to. Many times there are no one to share the breathtaking views or life curses.

Yet Fullmoon and me like it this way.



Comments

Francis Ho said…
Hi Huey!
Welcome to the fold!
Let me be the first one to comment on your blog! It's an honour! Congratulations!
Hey, that feels good!
Happy paddling and see you on the water!
Pandabonium said…
Hello. Nice blog. FH2O sent me.

I kayaked in Hawaii where I lived for many years, and in Fiji where I will be living in the future, but for the time being I live in Japan.

Your enthusiasm for the sport is wonderful. I am looking forward to reading your posts, and learning more about your kayak and experiences.
fullmoon said…
fh2o - thks man ! can't wait to continue where we left off in Chiangmai.

panda - Hawaii is where Paul Theroux is living no ;) But Japan is not too bad... zen kayaking?!

Popular Posts