Astral Greenjacket PFD

I have seen it. I have worn it. But I have not actually used it on water. But I am definitely going to get it one day. 'It' is the Greenjacket (GJ) by Astral Buoyancy.

Here's what I will be getting...


Foam tectonics - a separate panel that grips the waist and let the chest panel move with your torso rotation. Prevents ride-up, generated heat, armpits burn, and not to mention freedom for females!


Unique true torso length adjustment - quite a mouthful for such a feature. While most length adjustment are from the shoulders, GJ adjusts at the waist/chest level... meaning the entire PFD 'shortens and lengthens', not just the shoulder strap. In fact the shoulder strap is fixed and non-adjustable, so the PFD always starts at your chest. In other words, you always look cool.

Mid back support - I thought this is quite a nice add-on. Pulling the waist adjustment straps will also tighten a back band, much like how you wear a back support. Astral says this back support is also to prevent vest ride-up during a swim. For me I am thinking will this enhance kayaking posture and makes long distance kayaking more comfortable?

Enhanced floatection - Not a new feature on Astral's vests. Still a good feature to have for whitewater paddling. Special materials enhances protection around your rib cages, especially floating down river full of rocks.

Reinforced shoulders - larger shoulder straps makes everything so comfortable, and supposed to make one feel less like wearing straps but a harness. Indeed it is, no straps are sewn on, but actually formed as an extension from the PFD harness. Could make a difference in rescue situation.

Storage - Large stow pocket that can fit rescue ropes or electronics. Excess ropes can be store with a snap loop just on the left chest of the PFD. Handy for right-handed paddlers who can just reach across to unleash the button and ropes. 2 side pockets can store web toe or hook a cow tail at front panel quick release buckle.

Other 'normal' PFD features -
spectra safety loop
quick access knife tab
quick release rescuer harness
daisy chains on the shoulder straps
spots for a whistle
an anchored belay loop


I guess the pet peeve for me, as a sea kayaker, with the GJ would be the pullover entry. After a long hard day at sea, who would want to struggle with taking off a PFD ?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read about it, you let me try it and now I've got it! Have tried it in my pool can't wait to try it on denser waters!

It takes a bit of practice to get in and out of, but heck.. its so comfortable you dont want to take it out until the end of the day anyway. A possibility to get over your peeve.. get a size bigger !
;-)

Spenz
Anonymous said…
I am a two star kayaker and I've never been to any expedition before, but I'm interested in going on an expedition. Since you are an experienced kayaker and have been to so many expedition trip before, could you tell me where can I approach to sign up for an expedition trip?

Sin Ping
fullmoon said…
spenz > envy!

Sin Ping > send me a mail and I will add you to the mailing list for future expeditions! ;)

Popular Posts