Mount Rinjani Kayaking, Lombok

Chan with Mt Rinjani in the background during our Lombok Expedition, 2003.


During the Lomok kayak expedition in 2003, my eyes lit up when I found out that Mount Rinjani has a crater lake.

Mount Rinjani is the 3rd highest mountain in Indonesia if you brave the climb to the summit at 3,720m. The crater lake, Segara Anak, occurs at 2,008m - still a pretty hairy climb especially if you intend to lug your foldable there.


Then, I heard about the clear waters and the plentiful fishes. As I paddle around Lombok island, Rinjani stood majestically. This fed my fantasy of paddling inside Rinjani on the lake one day. Measuring 6km by 8.5km, it should be fun locating hot springs and avoiding lava!

And this week I heard in awe as Tiak, a 'new' folding kayaker I met, told me he had already paddled his K-light at Segara Anak in 2001. He is not a 'new' paddler but one of the pioneers who had owned a K-light and K2 since the 1990s. Most probably the first to own a Feathercraft in Singapore.

Good to meet another like-minded soul.

Tiak, in his own words:

"It was memorable exploring round the isolated areas of the lake that were fringed by tall pines, and getting a closeup view of the lava rock formations near Gunung Baru (new baby volcano). The locals will not go on the crater lake as they fear the 'god' that lives in it, and to which they make annual sacrifices of livestock. For that reason, the lake remains pristine to this day."

Tiak in his K-light paddling on Segara Anak ('Child of the sea'). In the background should be Gunung Baru, 2001.

Professional photo of Mt Rinjani, Segara Anak, and Gunung Baru.

Comments

Unknown said…
hi bro, where do we rent kayaks from if we're pushing off from sembawang? my name is idafi & pls contact me @ 90905123 or email idafi@flipcreatives.com. thanx
Noor said…
It's amazing

Popular Posts