Seri Buat Archipelago

The Seri Buat archipelago is a chain of volcanic islands located off the Malaysian (Johor State) east coast. Best accessible from Tanjong Leman, it offers a week of island-hopping fun near to Singapore. Many of the islands have small resorts making a convenient stop-over for kayaks. One of the best known islands with this chain is Tioman, still considered an excellent diving spot despite being one of the first diving centers in Malaysia.

The kayaking story of these islands (at least relevant to Singaporeans) was that a certain "Mr Miyagi" (now a famous blogger) paddled from Singapore to Tioman way back in 1991. In his own words they had "no lifejackets, no flares, no radio, and no brains". They simply bought a Klepper Aerius II double expedition kayak and off they went. [above photo. 1991 expedition, from Miyagi's blog]

They wrote an article about their kayak touring experience which was published by the Straits Times. A original cut-out of this article somehow found its way into my hands, courtesy of Mr Shakib Gunn (a kite extraordinaire). I met Shakib by chance one day while I was fixing up my folding kayak along East Coast Park. Anyway, accompanying the interesting article was the topless hero with a bent cigarette dangling from his lips.


Anyone who remembers what youth was about would have approved.


10 years after that pioneering expedition, it was my turn to paddle among those islands. I could still remembered vividly what was the CPE (curse of pre-exp)..., when a simple 15mins causeway crossing turned into a 5 hours nightmare because we were newbies with getting kayaks past customs.

On the water it was the era of "Survivor" the reality show. One night we broke camp only to find out one of the tribes was staying at the beach on the opposite side of the island. The military security were bemused to see us
paddling past the next morning. [above photo. 2002 'survivor island' camping]

It was also an expedition where a fisherman's kindness, who gave us his big catch, deserved mentioned.

And somewhere in the dark corner of someone's drawer, a picture of 3 nude paddlers 'frolicking' on an island off Penyabong should best be left where it was.


All these memories started floating back, as I looked at the map of the area now, and contemplating my next paddle.


My eyes began looking at the tip of Borneo Island, a place named Tanjong Datu. Then I looked at where I am in Singapore, and I am wondering how I should get from
that place to here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
helo Huey,

Well seems you have a good time as well...

I am having a break in Vienna at the moment and next week go into eastern europe...having a great time.
Paddle to the Metal.

Regards jörgen
Anonymous said…
"My eyes began looking at the tip of Borneo Island, a place named Tanjong Datu. Then I looked at where I am in Singapore, and I am wondering how I should get from that place to here."
This to me sound very suspiciously like a plan! ;)

Popular Posts