The Future of Kayaking !

This is the formulae that will break the world record in speed kayaking. Presently the fastest time a kayak can go is about 20 km/h. Imagine kayaking at at speed up to 25 km/h or more!! The Norwegians have just developed an extraordinary and working model of the hydrofoil kayak (www.foilkayak.com). The theory is not new but from what I read, previous attempts have not been successful due to the instability of the hydrofoil underwater.

I certainly would like to see this technology adapted for folding kayaks. Perhaps an attachment where we can strap to the hull, much like a skeg. Imagine paddling from Singapore to Batam in less than an hour, or from Singapore to Thailand in less than a week!! But of course this is assuming such speed is keep up for the entire journey. But then again, we are allow to dream no? Expedition kayaking needs an injection of speed. I am not suggesting to stop smelling flowers along the way, but it will certainly make planning more versatile and give an extra option for long sea crossings. Hey, long weekends may become more useful.

Then again, the hydrofoil may only be stable in flatwater with no or little waves. I wonder how it will react to choppy seas...


All photos courtesy of Foilkayak.

Comments

Francis Ho said…
Interesting. Use it and wipe out the competitions at the next spore kayak race!
HappySurfer said…
Hi Huey, don't mind me. I'm just a Cyborg that FH2o sent to view your blog.

He indicated that you're a big-time kayaker and I believe him. I mean look at that awesome picture! Was that a race you were in? Didn't know they've got kayak races. Oops! Apologies for ignorance as I've just been initiated into the world of kayaking by FH2o.

Question: Don't you get lonely and with a tinge of regret when you have no one to talk to nor share the breathtaking views? Sorry, don't mean to psych you but that's how I feel.

Looking forward to more of your adventures and by the way, welcome to the world of blogging more importantly putting something intangible into something tangible sort of. Thanks for sharing.
Pandabonium said…
It amazing to see a hydrofoil kayak. Cool. But it looks like a lot of work to me. hehe.

I like to take my time, enjoy the view and slip into the water for some snorkeling from time to time.

A hydrofoil's performance in waves depends a lot on how much power is available. Hawaii ran interisland hydrofoil boats for many years in very choppy conditions, but they had two turbine engines to keep them skipping across the wave tops at high speeds. (They were eventually sold and put into service in Hong Kong).

Interesting concept all the same.
Anonymous said…
wah, u can expect a lot of new faces in here since f2ho bumped us all over here. :) is that u in the second pix? like speedboat only lar!! ;) terangkat liddat! lol anyway, looking forward to reading more of ur adventures. :D
gus said…
Dropping by to say hi, coz fh2o told me so. Anyways, I'm eager to see how you do it down south. You know, the usual, pictures, write ups, instruction, tips and stuff.

Cheers man.
bonnie said…
When FH20 says go read a blog, even people in Brooklyn, NY listen!

Or at least this person did.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures!
fullmoon said…
wow! thanks all for the comments and to fh2o for directing you all here. Very new to this blogging thing, and certainly won't be as profilic as some of you are.

Btw, the gung-ho guys in the photo is not me. Yet to figure out how to put a photo on my profile will do that soon. The pics are all norwegian!

fh2o - i want it for my foldable !

happy - ya many times since it feels good to share with others. But I am used to the fact that there are few kayakers ard.

panda - cool eh? same question as you of how they will work in rough seas

yvy - not me! ;)

agus - hey will try my best, k?
fullmoon said…
bonnie - gd gal ! :) u've hav got a nice kayaking blog too !

Popular Posts