Kayak Expedition Safety


Someone in the forum I hang out (www.hydrotribe.com) brought out the issue of safety boat on Andrew's expedition. I often struggled with this issue. On one hand in an expedition you would like some immediate assistance in case of life-threatening emergencies. Alternatively having a safety boat does come with huge compromises on the adventure and learning value of an expedition.
I speculate that the concept of 'safety boats' (at least in local Singapore context) was probably introduced by tight-ass ex-military men into organized group kayaking. These organizers don't like to be held responsible.
If these boats are for emergencies, then a doctor and adequate medical equipment (especially cardio-type) should be onboard, and an evacuation route clearly charted out with timings. If one plays out a scenario when a life-threatening emergency occurs in the middle of an ocean, i don't think even the fastest boat will bring you to hospital in time. If it is just a broken arm or leg, one could call out a boat, float, and wait.
A good communication system with a safety coordinator and a doctor on standby 24hrs daily, will provide equally good safety coverage and medical assistance. A list of drug allergies, medical history, known medical problems would have to be complied and pass on to this land team. Basic medical equipment that would allow you to solve the problem would have to be brought along.
So a safety boat is no guarantee of safety. What I think provides expedition safety is seamanship, training harder, and making lots of room for margins of error. If the distance is 1000km unsupported, then train for 1500km unsupported. If communications is important, then plan for back-ups system. Spend time knowing and understanding the sea. And so it goes. One really has to be fully prepared, having the equipment in place or if not then an action plan clearly thought out.
A large volume kayak can hold supplies for weeks. With proper planning and training, unsupported expeditions had been responsible and safe. Andrew is said to be a responsible adventurer who does not take unnecessary risks. So it must really have been a freak accident that lost him.
Risk is present in anything we do. I guess the first question that kayakers have to convince themselves - and their loved ones - before an expedition would be "Am I (and my loved ones) prepared and able to accept it if things go wrong? "
If yes, by the grace of the sea you will return.

Comments

Francis Ho said…
I think when one is prepared to undertake an unsupported epic journey like this; one must also be prepared to move beyond this world. It's only the people who are left behind that would suffer and who cannot be expected to undertand nor fair to them to understand this.

We take risks though on a much smaller scale everytime we go out alone to sea. And I think we all have come to terms with our own mortality and we do it 'cause it's what makes us feel to be alive and living.
bonnie said…
I left a rather long comment about this over on Kayak Wisconsin. I can't quite throw myself into the entirely approving side - I guess my approach would be something like yours -

"I guess the first question that kayakers have to convince themselves - and their loved ones - before an expedition would be "Am I (and my loved ones) prepared and able to accept it if things go wrong?"

the problem is when one of the loved ones concerned is very young - can they actually understand and answer that question with full comprehension of what "if things go wrong" really, truly means?

That doesn't mean I think the answer to that is "Don't go". Because if that means killing a dream, something that makes you who you are, then maybe that would be worse in the long run.

Too complicated for comments, really. And too sad. And really nobody's business to condemn the guy for what he tried to do unless they were part of his own circle of friends & loved ones.

Boats never give you a 100% safety margin, anyways - no such thing as an foolproof boat. For that matter, nothing worth doing in life gives you a 100% safety margin - even being a couch potato has a set of obvious risks, right?

And to think I came over here to wish you a happy, healthy & prosperous New Year...wow. sorry.
fullmoon said…
That is why I think youth is such a wonderful period. Youth renders one invincible and is about the only time one feels immortal.

There are no fear, no cynicism, no suspicions, only full-bloodied optimisms of reality, and a sense of goodness in people and the world.

"I can survive anything", "I am ready to take all consequences" - these are (were???) some of my rallying crys some years ago.

Is it selfish action when it was all about I, me, and myself...? Or was it pushing the limits for the
greater good ?

With friends and families in the calculation, I don't think it is worth it to risk life for adventure. Yet it is worth everything to give adventure the best shot of your life.

The most difficult is the courage...to let oneself be humbled.

Popular Posts