Water Revolution !


For years I have wished that all the canals in Singapore would be filled with water, and connected into one giant kayaking playground. I spent countless hours looking at maps of canals and rivers, and theorizing about how they could be connected to make the waterway longer. I contemplated striking lottery and buying properties which blocked the canals' paths, so that I could dig a connection between two canals.

It could be happening. Not the lottery strike, but the filling the canals with clean flowing water.
The authorities (specifically PUB who I love to hate) is planning an astonishing project beyond my wildest dreams. There is still some way to go before I can paddle freely all over Singapore using canals, but what they are doing is a wise and important step towards that dream. Would I be able to see it in my lifetime ?
I am totally awed by the speed at which the plans would be realised. In a few years concrete canals may be a thing of the past. Instead of fighting for concrete canals to be filled with water and turned in a river, we might be fighting for it to be preserved. I would not be too sad to see the last of the dry, filthy, canals gone forever on our landscape.
And what will happen to the beloved Sungei Ulu Pandan ?

Stand by for the PUB-ABC Water Bodies Plan:
www.pub-abc.com.sg

Comments

Francis Ho said…
Wow!
This is amazing and fantastic news!!!
Let's hope that it would happen soon and I'll visit Spore to kayak. What a change!

How I wished the Malaysian government would do something like this but unfortunately and very sadly we treat our waterways like rubbish dumps ...

Popular Posts