A bamboo Feathercraft


Halim's sms read: "I booked for you Hotel Tobali, 17500 rupiah. Don't expect too much. The group stay at traditional Batak longhouses on Tuk Tuk. Wait till you see the dump."

I was at least expecting a bed.

"Full!", Pascal announced.

I protested that I have a booking. It was 1am when I reached Parapat. Pascal wasn't lying, as even the waiting area was occupied by 2 sleeping foreigners on mattress. Pascal walked over the neighboring guest houses but everything was full. It was the Easter, and many were spending their holy weekend on the cool climate of Lake Toba.

"Tidur sini boleh?", I asked to Pascal pointing to the reception area.

"OK, OK", Pascal was extremely helpful and immediately went about arranging the chairs, blanket and a pillow.

I contemplated paddling over to Tuk Tuk, 8km away on Samosir Island, to join the team. It was full moon, and the lake glistered with a warm glow. I checked my sanity - too tired, cold, and sleepy.

Due to some personal matters, I had to join the team late. While all of them were flying into Medan on the first available flight, I flew in on the last flight at 8pm.

"Arrived. Everything OK?", I texted Halim.

"We created a BAMBOO Feathercraft. We stay at Romlan. GPS position N2 40 25 E98 51 38. Do you want to paddle here?", came Halim's reply.

I saw the reply and was somehow not surprised.

A bamboo feathercraft? The curse-of-the-pre-expedition is getting more interesting.

This I got to see.

Comments

Wolfie said…
Any pictures of the bamboo FC and the trip to share?
fullmoon said…
wolfie > read on... ;)

Popular Posts