Storm over Muara

21 March 2008, Samosir Island to Muara

The plan for a 15km 'moonlight' channel crossing from Samosir Island to Muara did not have a good start.


By the time we cracked the lightsticks, dark clouds were gathering above Muara. An unusual storm in the middle of 'dry' March. We were hopeful. There was still an hour plus of daylight.

It then started raining over Muara. From where we were the curtain of grey rain obscured Muara completely.
No longer navigating by sight, we had to keep to a Southwest compass direction.

Every half hour, we stopped for the string of kayaks to close up. We cracked some jokes. The wind built up. We saw rain. We were going right in the middle of that menacing brew.


[left bottom photo by Lee]
At first it was exciting! More than a few of us would described it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We were like cowboys riding into an unknown and dangerous direction. We all knew the risks, but we were in high spirits as a group in it together. We charged.

The rain fell thunderously and sting. It caged me, isolated me from other sights and sounds. And so much fell they trickled down and filled the kayaks. The waves washed over. Whenever I stopped, I pumped.

After an hour, I began to ask why the rain had not stopped. I had enough fun.

I then thought I never felt rain so furious. Was it because Lake Toba was 1000m above sea level? Those wretched waves - had we paddled out to the open sea? Why prevent us from reaching Muara?

The stops became unbearable, as it attracted the cold. I shivered and put my hand into the warmer water for some respite.

What kept me going was a fading bluish lightstick I didn't want to lose sight of. I hoped others were following me. There was no way back.


I thought to myself the rain must end sometime. Nothing lasts forever. Rain, lightning, thunder in the distance.


Among us, there were 3 paddlers over 50 years old and 2 paddlers without much paddling experience. Is everyone going to make it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
nice series ... i'm holding my breadth for the next one.

cheers,
hunguptodry
Anonymous said…
.. and all that time I thought I was the ONLY one not having fun that night feeling woozie (such a word?) and all the time praying that I would not lose my balance and keel over in the choppy sea ... *sigh*

Chan and JB - if u guys are reading this; thanks for keeping me company as I strained to keep sight of someone in the darkness of rain, wind and waves in Huey's delusional idea of "moonlight paddling"!!
*BIG sigh*
Selba said…
Got here from Francis' blog.

I really like your way of writing in your blog. Your sentence "I thought to myself the rain must end sometime. Nothing lasts forever...", has really touched me. All this time, people will say, "After the rain, there'll be a rainbow.", I prefer your saying because not every rain will ended up with rainbow, it's more encouraging to know that nothing lasts forever :)
fullmoon said…
selba > tks for visiting! glad you like the series so far. Go paddling someday... you will like it.

Popular Posts