Wisper XP


News heard is that Feathercraft is tweaking the Wisper, and introducing a new variant "Wisper Expedition" or the Wisper XP.


The Wisper XP will have the following new features:

- deck reinforcement strip
- bow hatch
- rudder installed
- pivot foot brace
- frame with six crossribs
- choice between Small or Large cockpit

I think the cockpit choice will be welcome news for bigger paddlers who find the current snug cockpit a squeeze and preferring a more roomy paddle.

Pivot foot braces are also an significant improvement for operating the rudder. I usually don't recommend Feathercraft rudder as the old foot pegs design requires delicate balancing to get the rudder straight. With this pivot foot pegs, one can kick for more efficient strokes with their heels, and control the rudder with their toes. Can't wait to see how that works.

Certainly the rudder will come in handy for beginner paddler who may find the Wisper a tad challenging for directional control.

The extra crossribs add strength to the frame and enhances its claim to be an expedition model. The bow hatch and existing stern hatch complete this enhancement.

I always like the look of a black deck reinforcement strip on the Feathercraft. So I love the look of the new Wisper XP.

But my wishlist for my ideal folding expedition kayak are:

- electronics mounting panel (nowadays we got GPS, cameras, phones, etc to keep handy on deck)
- built-in compass (with night vision)
- solid sail mount
- straps instead of bungees for rear deck (often a portage bag is strapped on the stern deck)
- strobe mount
- reflective deck rigging

That, would be a fantasy ! For now I probably would have to customise it myself...

Comments

FH2o said…
I want! I want!

Popular Posts