A River as a Friend

Paddling Sungai Sarawak on Sunday was like getting acquainted with a stranger that could turn out to be a good friend. Many things I noticed about this stranger was familiar and I started to think I would enjoy spending time with it. It surprised me with sudden bends, flowing moves, and shy friends (there are otters on this river!). It's mannerisms comforted me, at the same time evoked feelings of trust, love, and peace. It pulled me to unpour my thoughts of troubles, feelings, hopes, dreams - all into it. And of course it happens to go in the same direction as me downriver.

And finally when I was reaching the end point of my long trip, I would invariably want to slow down. Somehow I would wish to extend the last few minutes of the paddling. I felt that I am beginning to know this stranger, the stretches where its flow carried me forward, or its canpoy that protected me from the Sun. It would take a few days to nurse the feeling of wanting more time with the stranger I was getting to know.

Anyway... melodrama aside! For all I know it was because I was paddling solo downriver and needs someone to talk to !

But I think Sungai Sarawak Kana is special. It is one of the two rivers (The other being Sungai Sarawak Kiri. Btw, Kana means Right in malay and Kiri means Left) that at the confluence begins the Sungei Sarawak. It is the river that flows through the main city of Kuching. I will make it a point to paddle the entire length of Sungai Sarawak on my next trip - both Kiri and Kana ! But folks if you are in Sarawak please contact FH2O to have a paddle on the beautiful Sungai Sarawak Kana. You can either do the Wind Cave or Upper Reaches section but if you commando enough you can do both at the same time !

Special thanks to FH20 and Robin for making the trip possible, enjoyable, full of laughter and plain fun! They especially drove me to the put-in and waited for me an extra 3 hrs at the pick up and didn't even complained. Like a river they are just greats pals to hang out with !

Comments

bonnie said…
Ah. Beautiful. Maybe someday...
Selba said…
First time in here... :)

Nice blog.... definitely, I should try kayaking someday!
Francis Ho said…
A Friend indeed; and for Life! ;)
Robin CHAN said…
hmmm... u censored quite a bit wor..
fullmoon said…
robin - censored wat leh?
Robin CHAN said…
the Otters family and the Monkeys...

Popular Posts