Sungai Sarawak Kana

I can't wait to be on the water on Easter Sunday, my last day of paddling in Sarawak. The very thought of paddling in a tropical rainforest river has rendered me sleepless the night before. I was excited, restless, and gearing to go in a second. When FH2O and Robin dropped me off at the uppermost stretch of water they could find, I was off in a hurry.

Here are some scenes from the first hours of the paddle. Due to the fast flowing river I did not have to paddle much. I spent time leaning back into my seat and enjoying the pure bliss of floating downriver. The cool morning mist in my face and the sound of flowing river and singing birds ringing in my ears. How I wish I could do this every Sunday, or everyday....

Sungai Sarawak Kana meanderaring through an old forest.
The river was urgent after a blanket of rain the night before.
It has risen to a mere 2 meters, when it could turned into
a monstorous 10 meters in rainy season. On places where it
turned the meandering force of the river dissolved the banks
and made high walls of what was remaining.

A clearing in the forest canopy let in some light.
Old trees precariously clinged to both sides of the
river banks. Ferns, moss, and orchids covered their branches.

During the rainy season the powerful river fell trees
and destoryed bridges but these two trees fell for
each other in a comforting embrace.

Comments

HappySurfer said…
Fullmoon, the place looks so tranquil. Heard you were out on your own the whole day. That must have been some awesome nature-bonding.

" but these two trees fell for
each other in a comforting embrace."

-- So romantic. haha..
Francis Ho said…
Glad that u enjoyed the river trip!

When you over-shot the ETA; we got a bit worried for a moment and decided to go ahead with lunch on our own! heehee ;)
Robin CHAN said…
see.. even commando kayaker must learn how to write and post them in the blog.

Yes, 3 hours of waiting.. and I am all black waiting for you at the wind cave.. haha

I have posted the MTV which has your footage too..
fullmoon said…
happy - see my next posting on yr comments ! The 2 tress are a landmark on the river journey. It formed an arch over the river. Given the circumstances which they have to survive, I think quite romantic leh.

btw, when you see the arch you know you are halfway between Pangkalang Terbang and Wind Cave.

fh2o & robin - was taking time to enjoy the flowers mah. 14km in a straight line but I think it must be ard 20-25km with all those twist and turns! Need to check a good map on that.

But thanks for waiting for me, impatient people and less nicer ones would just give up and go off. ;)

Popular Posts