Busy With Sun Protection

For the past 2 weeks, I was busy and getting little sleep preparing for the Singapore Garden Festival. I had a booth there representing Sunday Afternoons Hats, which is a brand of sun protective hats from the USA.
old photo of me covering up in 1999, malaysia east coast

I am a big fan of sun protection.

Seeing how my skin is compared to people my age I realized much of it was a result of over-exposure to the sun. Again back the the younger days, no one told me (or I did not bother to listen) the importance of sun protection. We trained half-naked, more concerned about having an even tan than slapping on sun block.

Sun awareness was sort of forced upon when I did my first expedition. I realized I had to spend all day in the sun. I didn't want to look 40 when I am 30 I told myself. So I started reading about sun protective fabric and methods.

It is most difficult to protect the face, as we can easily cover up the rest of the body. Wearing a UPF 50 rated wide-brimmed sun hat helps. And a UV-shielding sunglasses is a must. I also usually wear a face mask as sunrays reflected off the water do lots of damage to the face. And of course a layer of sun block, too.Vain? Maybe.

I know some people will look at me sissy for being so cautious of the sun (sometimes I do stand in the shadows while waiting to cross the roads), but it is my skin not theirs.

Enjoy the sun!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey! What's wrong with looking 40? Us guys in our 50's and lookin' it are taking exception to this statement! Nay! ;)
Anonymous said…
Where in Singapore can I buy the sunday afternoon hats? Thanks!

Popular Posts