The Dragon Run

After participating at the National Marathon earlier this year, I had been wanting to sign up for another long distance race.

I had missed the April's Labuan Marathon because of work.
There might be a Round Ubin race coming up, but there is always a disappointing lack of publicity and marketing for that race.

So I have set sights on the Hong Kong Race on the 26th November instead. See details here. The Dragon Run: a 23km race paddling past some of Hong Kong's scenic islands and ending at the tourist hotspot of Stanley.
Having been on my epic V10L ski a few times (and only on flatwater), I don't see this as an easy race. Sure I can finish it, but I would like to finish as a competitor.

I have 2 goals at the HK race: 1) riding the bumps without capsizing, and 2) to better my speed that I did earlier this year.


At the national marathon, I had managed an average speed of 8.5km/hr, which I am embarrassed to mention. Dean (the aussie paddler) had an average speed of 12.2km/hr. The top finishers for any international ski race is probably around 15km/hr.


I would like to finish the race inside 2 hours, which means I have to paddle at a speed of 11.5km/hr.


Looking at my work schedule, I have maybe 10 training sessions before the race.

Doable?

Comments

Wanderlust said…
Hmm.. is the V10L over at Paddlers Gateway yours?

Anyway, details for the round ubin is up on the Water-Venture webby.
Will be on 9th Nov.
fullmoon said…
yep, you are welcome to use it. just mail me. cheers!
Wanderlust said…
thanks for the offer! but i think i better work on my balance first. can barely move 50m in a k1
fullmoon said…
the V10 is actually much more stable than a K. Even someone who has not been on a K before can paddle a it.
bonnie said…
So how's it going? Think you're going to do it?
fullmoon said…
Bonnie > I have ZERO training sessions so far...
fullmoon said…
well, i wish i have started really. this weekend perhaps!
Wanderlust said…
Nice meeting you today! Too bad I couldnt join you in the paddling. Usually beach up by 4pm to beat the rush hour crowd home.

Hope to paddle with you soon (:

Btw, my email is madaboutknots@hotmail.com

Popular Posts