A rush out of Kong Lor Cave

Philip, designer of our cave lights, strapped 3 ministars into one waterproof container for 1500 illums brightness

"Pay bo?", the boatman asked as we disembarked infront of a roaring rapids framed in the glare of light entering from outside the cave. He was asking if we were going to cross over the rapids to the other side.

"Bo pay!" Bo mii weela!", I shouted as I got myself in the cold water and fixed up the cave light onto the kayak.

We were at the upstream entrance of the Kong Lor Cave, some 30minutes by longtail boat from the downstream entrance. On the way here, I was trying to remember all the turns and obstacles, know that I have to paddle out alone in darkness. There was only one small rapid before the "gallery" - a illuminated forest of limestone formation about 10mins (longtail boat time) from the downstream entrance. Then there was the numerous bends with shallows - always keep to the big bend for the deeper end, I reasoned.

I did not remember any Y-junction or alternative route.

"Saay! Saay!!", the boatman shouted me to turn left as I took my first strokes and made a wrong turn. I thought it was right?

Inside the smaller Kong Lor cave, the cave light work well to provide some light. But as it was fixed at the stern shinning up, I had to constantly look up and back to see my surroundings. I wished the angles were more forward-pointing. The designers had initially wanted the light to reflect off the cave walls, 'multi-bouncing' for more illum. But I guess they did not envisioned the caves to be this huge.

The boatmen were carrying motorcycle headlamps with battries strapped to their backs. And it was they who pointed their lights for me as I paddled out. I grew to appreciate them following me on my way out, as I don't think I could make it out in time otherwise.

Unlike the Xe Bang Fai Cave, the Kong Lor Cave was smaller, and apart from the "gallery", most of it was granite and rocks. But it was more difficult to paddle the Kong Lor, because the waters were shallow, and there were areas where 'granite tablets' extended onto the river. For someone on a rush and without a headlight, I was often stucked onto these tablets, and not knowing which directions to deeper waters.

More often, I tried not to get up at all, instead using my paddles and hands to push the kayak along. When I was forced to walk, I was afraid walking too fast would see me falling into the water at the tablet's edge.

Over these sumberged tablets, I could hear the sharp granite below scrapping at my keel, the boatman shouting, and shinning their lamps at me. I forced my kayak forward with my bare hands.

All I wanted was to get out fast.

Comments

Popular Posts