Alpacka Packraft Review: Final Conclusions


Ultralight, easy to travel, fun to use on water, and tough: all the desired essentials for backpackers who just want a reliable raft to float out, are available in packrafts. I wrote to Sheri the packraft fulfilled most of my fantasies of a travel boat, but probably also distressed her with my wishlist:

- put additional keelstrip for those places that get the main abrasion, at the side and the butt area. The thin material is chosen so that it can slip off rocks, but I want better protection from sharp edges.
- coat a layer of bullet-proof varnish?

- the main valve facing inside instead of outside?
- a honeycombed hull for self-bailing?
- a sling seat instead of sit-on seat to eliminate butt profile underwater?

- have bigger gear loops for the standard buckle to go through
- make it skeg enabled, for the raft to go straight in flatwater (like their Dory version)
- make it sail enabled !

I was probably better off in my folding kayak. But why would I need a packraft when I already paddle a folding kayak?
First any boat that can travel with me interest me. Singapore where I live does not have great paddling places. The authorities have imagined a waterways plan, which may mean more places for paddling. But for now, I have to cross the border to paddle.

Packraft gives me the freedom to travel, and access areas that my folding kayak can't. Now I can take it on my river recee trips, or to float down simple rapids and mountain streams. I can use my folding kayak in lakes, rivers, and on the sea. The storm drains, near where I stay, are my new playground.

Packraft users are encouraged to leave their comments, whether good or bad. This concludes my review of the packraft. Happy packrafting !

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi there,

Thanks for your review.

Where did you purchase your packraft? Online or from a supplier in S'pore.

Cheers,
Ezam
JB

Popular Posts