Packraft : Just Another Pool toy ?

I am very intrigued by the packraft. Well I am sure all those who do paddling or do hiking in the great outdoors will be intrigued by it. Weighing just 2 kg and built with space-age materials, it promised to change the way we enjoy the outdoors.
For those unawared, packraft is a new type of boat made by Sheri Tingey of Alpacka Rafts.
I am not much of a hiker, but I can see Sheri's point of walking in and floating out, saving the same walk out. As a paddler, I can also see the promise of a tough expedition-material raft that I can use to run whitewater safely that my folding kayak can't. As someone who travels with kayak, the 2kg is luggage peanuts. Is what? A few cans of coke? And as one who grew up in a kampong where the drains and rivers are playgrounds, it could mean adventure and fun at the nearest waterways !
Since I am more than one of the above, I am going to try packrafting !

Comments

Francis Ho said…
Perhaps we can try it here in Kuching where we can trek up to the upper reaches of Sg Embahn (Borneo Highlands) and then float our way down!

But we'll have to do it soon as they are commencing work on a darn dam up there soon ... :(
fullmoon said…
nice !

Thats exactly what the raft is meant for I would think. Trek and float!

How long is the trip ?

Popular Posts