Alpacka Packraft Review : Whitewater Paddling


I knew there were a couple of good whitewater rivers in Bali, because there were so many brochures advertising them everywhere. One of them was Ayung River which was near to Ubud where I was staying. The rafting companies guided on a 10km section containing 28 Class 1-3 rapids, beautiful gorges, intricate wall cravings, waterfalls, superstar resorts, and terraced ricefields.

The put-in was a good 15mins walk down the gorge on stairs built by the local whitewater operator. It was the best river put-in I had seen, where a timber deck sloped down gently into the river's bank. I quickly pumped up the packraft but being mindful of the rapids, tied down all my gear securely.

I was thrown out of the raft on the first rapid, 5 seconds into the journey. I was instinctly trying to control the packraft like a kayak, to avoid the rocks and 'shooting for the rapids'. Instead my first strokes caused the packraft to spin, and we went down the rapids spinning. A gush of rapids and I was swimming.
It was my only drink of the whole journey, despite some hairy Class 3 rapids later. Some of the rapids looked bigger than Class 3, in fact the packraft was so low seating that every rapid looked like a waterfall. There were many moments I was simply screaming before a drop, thinking I was to capsize. But the packraft did not capsized. It simply bumped off one rock after another, and tumbled down the rapids.

Ayung River was located in a volcanic region, and it contained sharp and rough rocks. With all those bumping on these sharp rocks, I was fearing for the skin and hull during the paddle. The materials were really light and thin. Although I found out later it only sustained only minor scratches, I certainly would not mind them adding another layer. But this would make the packraft heavier so I think the trekkers would mind. This is afterall a packraft and not a whitewater kayak.

My safety opinion is that helmets, proper pfds, throw bags, and if possible a companion are a must for whitewater paddling with packrafts. More safety rather than less should be the rule. There is an option for the packraft to come with a sprayskirt; my packraft was open-decked. After each big rapids the packraft would filled with water, and I was paddling with water right up my chest. So a sprayskirt could be useful, although emptying water was not difficult for me either.

It took a 'drink' to shook me in realizing that packrafting was a totally different experience. I felt the best way down with a packraft would be to go with the flow. A packraft was a good floater. There were some moments where I did shoot the rapids. But often the packraft would bumped around rocks, and I would find myself going down rapids backwards.

What can I learn about my first whitewater paddling with a packraft? Go with the flow, and be prepared for an adrenalin rush !

Comments

Popular Posts