Night Paddling Seri Buat Archipelago (South)


(I spent 2 days with David and Soo last weekend night paddling around the islands of Pulau Sibu and Pulau Tinggi.)

Night paddling is part digging for answers and part reconcillation. Questions that can only be important when you are alone gets their devotion this once. Answers that had eluded you continues to do so, forcing some form of reconcillation, else a disconcerted mind. 

In the darkness, I also had to reconcile my limited vision with the blur and faint outlines of islands and lights. Which is the correct light to follow? Where is the right way to paddle? Where is my guidance? Who speaks the truth?

I wondered how I can find answers to all these questions of life...

In the darkness, the kayak trailed a constant stream of luminiscence. Rolling balls of scattered and brightly lit organisms as the paddle dipped for the stroke. I admired the glowing beauty, the random scattering of these pinhole greenish dots. 

A faint breeze blew from the tail of the southwest moonsoon, softening the sea and effort. I stopped, sat, and listened to what the night and sea might say. Somehow I wanted to linger on the dark sea instead of towards the bright lights.

Overhead the pale white moon hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves 
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine

And no one showed us to the land
And no one knows the wheres or whys
But something stares and something tries
And starts the row towards the light

Strangers passing on the sea
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
And do I take you by the hand
And lead you through the waves
And help me understand the best I can

And no one calls us to the sea
And no one forces down our eyes
And no one speaks
And no one tries
And no one flies around the moon

Cloudless everyday you row
Upon my waking eyes
Inciting and inviting me to rise
And through a window on the sea
Comes streamin in on random wings
A million bright ambassadors of goodbyes

And no one sings me lullabies
And no one makes me close my eyes
So I throw the windows wide
And call to you across the sky
My version of Pink Floyd's Echoes

Comments

Popular Posts