Inside The Sabtang Triangle (6/14)

photo by Moira



"Don't get yourself in front of big waves. Back paddle if you feel your kayak is sliding forward. Maintain stability over speed.", I told Moira.

The plan to paddle to Sabtang was to paddle hard, constantly, and maintaining stability in the waves. This was the only way I thought we could get out of the Triangle.

Whistle! 

"Capsized!", Moria shouted.


I caught a side glance of her overturned kayak and her swimming in the waves. I quickly turned over her kayak and pulled hard at the sea sock, which will drain out all the water.

"Moira, stop grabbing and pressing on my kayak. I am sinking already. You have the PFD on. You can float. Now let go and go hold your kayak. Why you capsized?", was I a little pissed?

"Erm…I don't know…?", she answered.

"Actually I think it is better we are linked by rope. You can then reel me in for faster bailing.", Moira made another good suggestion. I wondered where my brain has gone to.

I reached inside my deckbag for my tow rope. Shit! I had used it to tie up kayaks during the portage and forgot to take it back. Then I remembered she was using Johnny's kayak.

"Johnny's got lots of ropes all over the place. Must surely have tow rope?"

"Yes behind my cockpit", she thumbed at the red bag hanging from the back of her cockpit.

I was thinking Johnny better cut it 10 meters with the carabiners as I asked him to. He stitched the bag himself (no joke!) but I had no time to admire it. I tied one end to the bow of Moria's kayak and hooked the carabiner to my PFD quick-release O-ring. 

Now we are solid and we will push all the way to Sabtang.

Wacrassshed!

Minutes later, a huge 3 meter wave broke over us and capsized both our kayaks at the same time. I could not had anticipated the wave could be high enough to capsize both our 4.75 meter long kayaks at the same time. I had revised my plan that at least one kayak will always be buoyant and working.

Immediately my thoughts went to the GPS and radio, which I was using constantly and wedged between my thighs. I flipped the kayak and was relieved they were both still in the cockpit, swimming in water. I quickly grabbed them and stuff them into my deck bag. 

Waves after waves crashed over us, and it was difficult to swim to Moira and her kayak. I needed her kayak, which was fitted with a waterproof sea sock, to re-float my kayak. Now this is how the freaking sea sock can be useful huey! I am never a fan of sea sock.

This double capsize was a psychological blow. We had lost all initiative... and now at the sea's mercy...

Comments

Popular Posts