Sabtang to Batan Crossing (1/14)

The 'E9 cave campsite' on Morong Beach, Sabtang Island. My camera had already stopped working by now. Photo by Moira.


On 18 Dec, after 2 days of delay due to bad weather, we decided to paddle back to Basco. Because the surf at our cave campsite was still too big, we portaged the kayaks to the town center, where there was a sheltered harbor, for launch.

A crowd had gathered when the last kayaks was ferried in by our cement truck. Promptly, we set up the kayaks and within an hour we were heading towards Ivana (E10). It was a straightforward 6km channel crossing, followed by a 10km coastal paddle to Basco.

We had discussed this crossing with CPT Delfin, an experienced local boat captain when we arrived in Batanes. From his advice, we knew the currents were strong and flowed in different directions even inside the channel. The key is to avoid a left drift. 


"Head for the comms tower.", I went around to each kayaker and told them the aiming point. The comms tower was much further right of where we needed to go. 

The last kayaks left Sabtang at 12.35pm, still plenty of time for headwind paddling. By this time, an advance team consisting of 4 kayakers were well also on their way heading towards E10. 

I was leading ahead the main group of 6 kayakers some distance forward. I would have stayed behind with the last kayakers, but my sprayskirt was ripped during the surf landing. Without a skirt, my kayak was frequently swamped. I needed to stop constantly to bail water and this slowed me down. I requested Moira to stay close to me, as a safety cover.

Each time I stopped to bail, I radioed YH and Bimo to check their progress.

"We are OK.", both YH and Bimo reported on one of the radio check.

By now I was getting too frequently swamped and it slowed me considerably. I tied my bilge pump to the cockpit, so that I can pump with one hand in-between strokes.

"All teams, report your position.", sometime around 3.30pm, I raised everyone on the radio.

"We landed on Batan, between E10 and E11.", Chan reported back.

"YH and Bimo, are you OK behind.", I radioed again.

"We are drifting badly towards Basco, request that we aim directly for base.", YH came on the radio, and I could hear howling winds.

"Negative. Maintain direction towards E10.", I replied.

"Ok roger that. Better stand by evac boat…the current is too strong. We are drifting badly.", YH radioed again, this time with some concern.

"Chan, ask Joseph to come to your location immediately.", I raised Chan.

"Bimo, are you OK?", I had not heard from him on this radio check.

Comments

Popular Posts