Into The Wind (13/14)

Our kayaks facing the wind and wave on Morong Beach Cave Camp (E9), Sabtang Island. Photo by Kat.

I was hanging in there, my right leg inside my kayak, trying to get it unstuck. When I couldn't kicked out, I turned myself over to get some air and pulled the kayak towards me. What was the fubbles problem?

I felt inside the kayak for my feet, and discovered that the shoe was impaled by an aluminum pole piece. I roughly unzipped the damn right shoe that was trapping me.





Moira assisted my capsize recovery routine one more time. I climbed in and sat there moving my bare right foot against the cold, soft, and wet texture of my kayak. The sea tagged me...

As far as moonlight shone, were crown of waves between us and Basco. But it was amazing how the sea changed when you changed. It was as if the sea has settled down just enough for you to see a way towards Basco. 

I took out my new $25 cockpit cover, sliced a gap down the middle, and wore it around my waist as a makeshift sprayskirt. The sea did not require more determination, just more common sense.

"Going back is just hard slog, isn't it?", Moira asked.

"We will make it. Just take more time than usual that's all.", I replied.

It was almost 8pm. The ITRANSA was turning around with 3 new passengers on board. We had already spent 7 hours. How long would it take for us to paddle the 13km to Basco in these conditions? 3, 4, 5 hours? Hard slog? 

"Come on Moira, let's paddle into the wind."

And into the trilling waves of the virtuoso sea. I liked your presto

I started singing…as a way of marking our moving inches in tune. Never once did the sea eased off its bow. That night, she just couldn't care less. 

The team had waited all night for news but none was forthcoming. At 11.52pm, they decided to test the sat phone again to see if it was working properly.

Amos pointed the Sat phone to the nearest satellite but Carol's repeated attempts to call him was unsuccessful.

Ring…. ring!

"Pick up the phone! Could be them!", the team shouted. But the ring tone stopped before Amos could respond.

"It works. I just called it from outside.", a bewildered Joseph walked in from outside holding his phone.

Just at that instance, their radio crackled to life "Base, this is huey."

At 11.56pm, the last 2 kayakers paddled into the small bay at Basco.

~ end ~








Edge of Region Song 1: The Batanes Islands
10-21 December, 2010

_______________________



Acknowledgements (14/14)

The trinity of sea, wind, and waves.... yes, the experience was divine.

The entire expedition team have been magnificent in their response to unbelievable delays, waiting, more waiting, and then hairy sea paddling conditions. They got booted by the law of  Murphy, then discovered the law of Patrick, went with the flow, and made crucial decisions for a happy ending. The team kept up the humor and spirit. It was impossible to paddle Batanes in Winter without such a fabulous team. 

Joseph (logistic manager), Didi, and Val (Philippines Kayaking Association) provided critical background support during the course of the whole event. Dealing with the local Philippines authorities and politicians were not easy and always tricky. 

Governor Gato of Batanes, Congresswoman Abad (Batanes), Dan (Batanes Tourism Department), and Director Bless (Philippines Department of Tourism Region II) for constantly showing concern, support, and understanding the spirit of an expedition.

On Sabtang Island, Mayor Babalo, Mr Pinding, and Mr Figuearo. 

CPT Delfin and crew of the ITRANSA. The best gentlemen in Batanes!

For well-wishers and readers who thought we were missing and rescued as reported on the internet, thanks for your prompt and sincere messages. The Philippines Coast Guard crafted and released a fantastic Praise Report! 


Finally, Mdm Dely of the Shanedel's Inn, for so many things you gave us...the food, puppies, care, prayers, patience, advice, hospitality, and super audio system playing hours of classic 70's music (maybe less Dire Straits in the playlist on paddling days). See you in Singapore soon!

For SEAIR, appreciate your assistance but you kept us waiting for too long! We almost turned into cows...

photo by moira

Comments

Popular Posts