Lights of Muara

[Taking a rest near Nainggolan on Samosir Island, before the 15km crossing to Muara.]

It would be the perfect ending if we saw the lights of Muara after enduring the storm. It was what everyone, including me, was hoping. We were tired. What we just endured entitled us to be near. We saw and paddled towards the brightest lights.

Anyone who kayak continuously for 15 hours for the first time was not going to like it.

Arms heavy as lead, waist and anything down from there locked, fingers blistering; really it was mental way before the 11th hour. And it was only Day 1.

Adding to this physical exhaustion was the uncertainly of ever reaching an end, because we lost sight of the objective in the storm.

So it was not to be. The bright lights were not those of Muara. In trying to skirt round the storm over Muara, we went dead south.

[picture below left by Lee] We were 8km away from Muara, indicated by the GPS. It was 9pm. No one felt like paddling anymore.

The nerves were sinking. Temples frayed. Thoughts wondered. Some just wanted land - anywhere will do. But the steep slopes reminded us that we were in a volcanic crater.

What happened after was a blur. I remembered being very cold. I asked Halim to go to lights and asked for Muara. He fell attempting the first one, cursed, paddled forward, and we lost him.

Everyone stumbled forward. Help and encouragements were given. But there were plently of curses as well. It was hard to keep up the humour. It was harder to keep the group together. Where were the lights of Muara?

3 hours later I saw it. A powerful sweeping searchlight. It flashed start, searched itself over the water, and stopped. It started the cycle again after a second. Must be Halim with the torch!

As I and Mel got closer, we saw the light mounted on a nondescript square building, which looked like a harbor. It will do for the night. We were desperate. I asked Mel to wait for the rest while I paddled forth to ask permission.

In the distance, I thought I saw Halim with a cold beer in hand, sitting on a deck chair, waving, and inviting me over for a drink.

It was midnight. I wanted to believe anything.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was way past exhaustion at that point and was mentally prepared to plod on for another couple more hours saving up just enough strength to wring the neck of the expedition leader if this was his idea of 'moonlight paddling' when we reach terra firma ...
fullmoon said…
thks for letting me off - again... ;)

Popular Posts