Muara

22 March 2008, Muara

"Full!", I could not believe my luck.


On 22 March, we reached Muara at 12.29am. It was 18 hours after I first paddled out of Prapat.

Land unleashed us to toilets, stretches, beer, or cigarettes - to each their own.

We had landed at Grand Sentosa - a newly opened hotel - and it was full on Easter.

"Just 1 room? We can squeezed. We leave early tomorrow.", I pleaded.

"Sorry, full...", the manager was apologetic.

Halim then told me the manager had kindly allowed us to park our kayaks here, while recommending another hotel 100 meters up the road.

"You are sure it will not be full?", I asked.

"Most definitely not full!", the manager replied.

When we reached the hotel, it was most definitely not full. But only because it was under renovation!

"Come on! Its late and we are staying only 1 night!", we argued with the caretaker.

The caretaker paused, eyes squirmed and said "1 room".

Commotion. Disbelief.

Finally Halim showed up, negotiated, and the caretaker told us to pick any of the rooms in the hotel. All were available.

The brave ones took a cold bath, some went for beer, but I was glad to have something to eat before sleeping.

It had been a long day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great series! I enjoyed the story, especially after reading FH2o's version of the trip. Full of suspense this 'moonlight paddling' thing, eh? ;)

Cold beers at the end is always welcoming.
fullmoon said…
LF > tks for visiting. join us someday for moonlight paddling, perhaps ;)

Popular Posts