The Lunch Experience

In previous expeditions I had with Chan, we were always rushing to do maximum distance before sunset. We did not lingered to smell the flowers along the way. We called it 'doing distance' - 60km, 70km, non stop paddling. We like the challenge to be fast and firsts. It felt good pushing limit's edge. It boosted the ego.

The slower and more relaxed pace at Lake Toba was a nice change. It was perhaps extra company, as the group constantly rearrange into pairs and simply chatted our way forward. Many were meeting for the first time. It was great to catch up or simply get to know other better.

It felt like meeting old friends over lunch, only the venue we chose was more amazing than usual. Simply, it felt great to paddle with people who like paddling.


After re-assembling a kayak, Elke and me were paddling together. I told her that as a first time kayaker, I was impressed with her fitness yesterday. She told me her love of salsa...I told her my relationship with water...

Time passed, so did the storm.

No coordinates yet. And so we started our chase. We did 'distance' - one hour, full effort, non stop - to catch the team.

We covered a good 5km in that hour. It was already 3pm and we were hungry. I wondered where the team was having lunch, and started looking for a place to land.

Elke surprised me by suggesting eating on the water, reminding me that no matter where, lunch was going to get soak in this blazing rain anyway. OK.

We had packed Grand Sentosa's signature dish, Nasi Goreng Ayam Special. Fried chicken was worth the trouble, if I can just open the packet carefully on the bobbing waves.

Who t $&#^% got my fried chicken?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sorry Huey, a small correction here - "Simply, it felt great to paddle with people who like paddling."

It's 'LOVE' not 'like' paddling ... ;)

I wish I could say the same about the nasi gorengs we had on the trip!
Anonymous said…
Hey, what is this "slower relaxed pace business" ??
I thought we were going flat out!
Anonymous said…
geoff - As I've said before. "Huey's delusional".
I rest my case ... ;)

And then there's this obsession with fried chicken ...

Popular Posts